Preparation Time : 30 min
Ready in : 4 hours 30 min
Portions : 24 servings, 1/24 of recipe (140 g) each
A spectacular way to prepare turkey for a special occasion or a large gathering. KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing and BULL’S-EYE Barbecue Sauce are combined and rubbed over the bird before roasting and then topped with bacon producing a wonderfully flavourful and juicy turkey. This is a must-try recipe!
– 1/2 cup Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
– 1/2 cup orange juice
– 1/4 cup Bull’s-Eye Bold Original Barbecue Sauce
– 1 fresh or thawed frozen turkey (13 lb./5.8 kg)
– 1 orange, cut into wedges
– 5 bay leaves
– 1 lb. (450 g) bacon slices
– 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
– 1 Tbsp. water
– Heat oven to 325°F.
– Whisk first 3 ingredients until blended.
– Remove and discard neck and giblets from turkey cavities. Free legs from tucked position. (Do not cut band of skin.) Place oranges and bay leaves in chest cavity. Use rubber spatula or your fingers to loosen skin over breast, starting at body cavity opening by legs. Rub half the dressing mixture onto meat under skin on breast, legs and thighs. If necessary, use wooden toothpicks to secure skin at opening. Return legs to tucked position and tie securely with string; turn wings back to hold neck skin in place. Rub remaining dressing mixture evenly onto turkey skin.
– Place turkey, breast side up, on flat rack in roasting pan. Top with bacon. (See tip.) Tent turkey with foil.
– Bake 4 hours or until turkey is done (170°F), uncovering after 3 hours. Remove turkey from pan; tent with foil. Let stand 15 min. before carving. Meanwhile, pour pan drippings into large measuring cup. Discard excess fat that rises to surface. If pan drippings are less than 2 cups, add enough water to drippings to measure 2 cups; pour into medium saucepan. Mix cornstarch and water until blended; gradually stir into drippings. Bring to boil, stirring constantly; strain through fine mesh strainer.
– Carve turkey. Serve with gravy.
Kraft Kitchen Tips
HOW TO MAKE A LATTICE DESIGN (WEAVE BACON)
Place 5 bacon slices in single layer on sheet of parchment or waxed paper. Weave 5 of the remaining bacon slices through bacon slices on parchment to resemble lattice pattern. Hold 2 opposite corners of parchment, then quickly invert parchment onto turkey; remove parchment. Arrange remaining bacon slices over turkey’s legs, thighs and wings.
A 12- to 14- lb. frozen turkey needs 3 to 3-1/2 days of thawing time in the refrigerator. The cooking time will range between 3 to 3-3/4 hours until the turkey is done (170ºF).